Travel with the Barker family on a decade long journey. . . destination: SOUTH OF SANITY.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Best Gammie!

It was my privilege to have the Keith Barker family here for a short visit over the weekend. On a previous visit, in an attempt to help Steven with his reading and writing, we held "school". I photo-copied penmanship pages and the kids were assigned to do their best work. For each excellent page they did, they received a quarter out of Gammie's stash. Once they did four pages, they were allowed to exchange their four quarters for a golden Sacajawea dollar. They thought that was great fun and now want to have school each time they come. I was really busy yesterday and Brooke wanted to hold school again. I told them to write a "theme" while I did my "home study"--a.k.a.--dishes. Never being one to miss an opportunity for self-aggrandizement, I assigned the topic "My Gammie is the Best". What a wonderful subject matter. The kids giggled and had fun with the assignment. But the real joy came when reading Steven's writings.

Steven's Theme:
"My Gammie is the best in my family. She makes blankets for us and she "said's" when you put your head under the blanket you'll "remeber" me. She has a big house and has a slide door for the back door. She has a flat screen. I love you "Gramda". Love Steven."

Kids remember what you teach them--especially when it's done with love! The fact that Steven still talks about making the blankets tells me that I'm on the right track! Agree?

2 comments:

Jess said...

That is such a sweet thing. I really think that it is the little things that make a difference.

Tanielle said...

That is so sweet!!! You are amazing, and what a wonderful Gammie you are!