Travel with the Barker family on a decade long journey. . . destination: SOUTH OF SANITY.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Terrific Review!

It just occurred to me that I have never posted this great review I got from Dr. Marc D. Feldman. Dr. Feldman is the nation's leading expert on Munchausen and after reading CRUSH, he sent me this review via email. I thought it appropriate to pass it along.

"I just finished reading CRUSH and have rarely been so enthusiastic about a book. It is extremely powerful and well-written, and does a better job than most textbooks in depicting the realities of Munchausen by proxy abuse and antisocial personality disorder (sociopathy). I have already recommended it in response to a couple of inquiries about MBP and find it more powerful even than Julie Gregory's best-selling memoir, Sickened. It took me a while to read because I had to interrupt the reading when I found myself too filled with rage or sadness at the lies and abuse perpetrated by "Patty." I can only hope that "Keith" continues to prevail in court.

Over the years, quite a few people have told me that they intended to write books about their disturbing and life-altering experiences with MBP, but few really do, perhaps because the memories are too painful. It is clear in your case that writing is a therapeutic tool and your readers will be the beneficiaries.

Congratulations on a fine job."

Marc D. Feldman, M.D.
Clinical Professor of Psychiatry
Adjunct Professor of Psychology
The University of Alabama
Tuscaloosa, Alabama

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! See--since I fist read it, I thought, "This book should be in the hands of health care providers and other medical/counseling personnel everywhere!" Good to see that they are getting it! :)

dotmother said...

Congratulations! I'm glad the medical field is starting to be aware of your book. I think it will help A LOT of people!

Anonymous said...

It's hard to impress upon doctors these days. They have such a "God-complex" ingrained into them they feel no one knows more or better than themselves. I find I am taken aback when a doctor asks me for my opinion of how to treat a patient because he feels I "know better being from in the trenches" so to speak. Congradulations of the notice of the "Gods".